About Primary 1
Teacher: Miss Marshall
Number of Children: 20
P.E. Days: Wednesday & Thursday
RCCT: Miss Spencer on Tuesday afternoons
Show and Tell: Has now ended.
Sharing achievements: On a Friday children can share things they have achieved that has made them feel proud.
Burns Poetry Competition- 24th January
Burns Supper- 24th January- wear tartan if you can
Community walks- Thursdays, 23rd Jan, 6th Feb & 13th Feb. We have all of the volunteers we need now, thank you for your offer of help.
Term 3 January- February
Primary 1 have been using Katie Morag as a stimulus for learning about their village. They have looked at the types of houses, how people travel to the village and completed a travel survey. We will also be discussing people who help us. We have looked at where Strathbalne and Struay (Coll) are on a map of the UK and developed our skills at using Google Maps to help us.
Phonics & Reading
P1 will continue to bring home sound cards and will also get common words/sight words. To support reading, it is useful to revisit all common words daily. This will allow your child to learn the words by sight, once they can read the word constantly without sounding out please practise spelling it.
Reading books will be sent home as your child develops the confidence to blend and read words as well as sight reading their common words. Please send this every day as your child will read it in class and complete tasks related to the story they are reading.
Numeracy & Maths
Children will be learning how to use calendars and recite the months of the year. They will be reinforcing their addition skills and using this to count up coins to 10p. We will be working out totals and beginning to subtract to calculate change.
We have been using tally marks to record data and as a class we have been displaying these in pictographs and box graphs.
Friday Fives are updates fortnightly. These questions should help with discussions on what your child has been learning.
1. Ask me to write numbers to 20. Am I getting the tens and ones in the correct columns? Ask me how many tens? Ask me how many ones?
2. Ask me to recite my Scots poem with gestures and expression.
3. Ask me about different types of houses.
4. Ask me how you create a watercolour wash?
5. Ask me to perform a balance- can I hold it for 5 seconds?
1. Ask me to add numbers to 10. Use words like: plus, add, 3 more than, how many altogether? Challenge- can i do it mentally.
2. Ask me to find the missing number in the sum e.g. 4+_= 6.
3. Ask me to tell you a story with a beginning, middle and end.
4. Ask me what I did in our Christmas toy workshop or our Christmas Post Office.
5. Ask me about how you paint with watercolours.
1. Ask me to find as many common words in a book you have read.
2. Ask me to sing our Christmas show song.
3. Ask me to show you all of the different ways of making 6,7,8.
4. Ask me about my pirate ship model.
5. Ask me to demonstrate a kangaroo jump and frog jump.
1. Ask me to add 2 single digits together e.g. 3+5, 7+6. Ask me to explain how i got the answer.
2. Ask me to sing the jolly phonics song for l, c, f, u, b
3. Ask me to tell you the different parts of a pirate ship
4. Ask me to sing you "Over the deep blue sea" pirate song
5. Ask me to write you a sentence with our new common words.
1. Ask me to spell word with the letters d,o,g
2. Ask me to tell you one/two more or less than a number to 20
3. Ask me to tell you the colour red, blue or green in french.
4. Ask me what our new topic is.
5. Ask me to tell you the 4 listening skills we have been practising.
1. Ask me what our classroom expectations are.
2. Ask me to write my name using the correct pencil grip.
3. Ask me to quickly count the dots on a dice face.
4. Ask me to sing a song for one of my sounds.
5. Ask me what the dragon has been doing.